Saturday, October 18, 2008

and it poked me













i tried acupuncture. it went a little somethin' like this:
the first session is a bit more analysis than a typical session...
ive never been to a shrink, so sitting & talking before the needles came out, put me into witness-consciousness a bit - i was watching myself & amazed by the verbal answers that came out of me in response to her to simple questions about how i was faring in life.
perhaps i should talk to myself more often? ;)
humor aside, perhaps i should check in with how i'm faring more often... compassionately, realistically, sensitively.
here's where it gets a bit bizarre - (imagine that on my blog ;)
i had a bit of consternation that the needles would hurt but i barely felt them at all - in my back anyways. those ones in the top of the foot (meant to activate the liver in my case) were not comfortable. all the needles used are actually so hair-thin that you dont feel much. some she had to tell me were inserted. i really wished i'd taken a camera to get a pic of my back - i think i had 14? total, along either side of the spine. it does feel very good, soothing in an energetic way. i felt pops & releases under the skin, which i've felt before when ive had energy work done.
she was noticing some things about my lungs. having heard that certain emotions are connected to each of the organs, i asked what this indicated. she said lots of mucus or lung issues are a sign of grief. as opposed to sadness, grief occurs suddenly & w/o warning. i started leaking when she said it was as though i had lost my connection to something.
and to some degree i have lost connections. obviously i no longer live in the city i call home, so that connection is broken - but the emotional ties to everyone are not. and nothing - not even death - can break this strong bond i've formed with Divinity. tat tvam asi (i am That.) i think my initial tears were a response to the thought of losing these connections - but i realize that bonds to my God & my home are bonds that can't break.
she told me afterwards that chinese medicine treats the whole patient & isnt a means of relieving symptoms w/o addressing underlying problems. she didnt totally remove my shoulder pain, and i have sense that she could have. so it creates an interesting quandary that i havent yet worked out - do i trust that it will take multiple sessions (i do) but do i want to pay $70 for each return session, recommended every 10 days (i dont). does the american in me desire instant gratification that will immediately remove the hurt (i do) while the yogini in me would much rather address the problem rather than the symptom & respects that there is no quick fix for problems that have emerged over time (yes, again.)
and so it continues. i pay attention.
c.

No comments: