Monday, June 30, 2008

at the starting line

yesterday, in class, kris read a passage from an article i read a few months back in the march/april issue of clyde's journey mag. of course, it had whole new meaning now, including that i've since met & practiced with the author, psalm isadora, a beautiful yogini and skilled teacher. the article stems from her travels in india and her feelings of inadequacy when confronting so much suffering.

tomorrow i start my job in buffalo. true to my nature, i have absolutely no idea what im in for and absolute certainty that i should be doing it. a longer glimpse (a stare? ;) last weekend prepared me for its many problems, similar to those facing cleveland and other rustbelt cities. it takes reminding oneself that you cant fix it all in one day and you will only undermine yourself trying. so i picked this inspiration out of psalm's writing for the next leg of my own journey:

"You do the work that is in front of you. You do the work that wants to be done. You do the work that has begun itself and just asks for you to go with its flow. I know this.
Today, I will do the work that is in front of me. I will do what I can here and now. And maybe I will have made a difference, and maybe not. But I will have stayed present to the circumstances and genuine to myself. That is all I can ask, to move lightly with love, and to help... To do the work that is in front of me, the work that is asking to be done. Inshallah."

inshallah,
c.

No comments: